Responsible Care® is the chemical industry’s commitment to sustainability, the betterment of society, the environment and the economy. Its ethic and principles encourage companies to innovate and create a safer and more environmentally-friendly products and processes, as well as to work together to identify and eliminate harm throughout the entire life cycle of their products.
Responsible Care® covers all aspects of a company’s business, including environmental protection, resource conservation, occupational health and safety, process safety, research and development, transportation, product stewardship, purchasing, security and social responsibility. It requires engagement with plant site neighbors, communities along transportation corridors, emergency responders, critics and advocates, as well as with governments at all levels, to advance laws and regulations in support of sustainability.
Throughout the years, CCC has been committed to Responsible Care and Responsible Distribution and has continuously operated to ensure a growing awareness of the importance of Responsible Care in the chemical industry from the start. As a matter of fact, the Association RDC was formed in 1986 under the initiative of Herb Montgomery who, at the time, was President of CCC and was RDC’s first Executive Director.
CCC takes great pride in having been a key player in the history of RDC and we continue to be an active member of this association, as well as of the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC).
CCC will handle, manufacture, transport and distribute chemicals, chemical products and services in accordance with the Responsible Care Guiding Principles.
CCC will also:
- Provide information on the hazards of chemicals and chemical products to its customers enabling them to use and dispose of products in a safe manner and make such information available to the public on request.
- Provide information on the hazards and associated risks of chemical distribution activities to employees, contractors, visitors, sub-distributors and to those in the community who have an interest.
- Make Responsible Care an early and integral part of the planning process leading to new products, processes or operating facilities.
- Increase the emphasis on the understanding of its existing chemical products and their uses and ensure that a high level of understanding of its materials and their potential hazards is achieved prior to and throughout commercial development.
- Comply with all legal requirements that affect its operations, products and services.
- Be responsive and sensitive to community concerns.
- Work actively with, and assist governments and selected organizations, to foster and encourage equitable and attainable standards.
Our commitment to the communities:
One of the relationships that we take very seriously is with our neighboring properties in proximity to our operating sites. Each year our local managers invest time visiting each neighbouring property in person to ensure that they are aware of who we are, what we do and how we mitigate the risks that we bring to each community. The attached letter is an example of some of the topics discussed at these meetings.