CoatOSil* DRI waterborne silicone can help reduce water uptake and improve UV resistance in organic waterborne coating compositions. Its innovative chemical structure enables formulators to overcome the difficulties of combining silicone materials with organic waterborne resins.
CoatOSil* DRI is a 65% water emulsion of silicone with low viscosity and it is compatible with Water-Borne (WB) organic resins such as acrylic latexes. It is VOC free and cures to an elastic film at room temperature.
CoatOSil* DRI has the following typical physical properties:
- Actives Content, %wt ~ 45%
- Viscosity at 25 °C ~ 20 cps
- pH ~ 11
- Appearance White, opaque liquid
The new waterborne silicone composition has been shown to be compatible with a variety of waterborne polymer systems, including acrylic, styrene acrylics, epoxies, PUDs, alkyds. It provides desirable property improvements such as hydrophobicity, flexibility/elongation, UV resistance when used in coating or sealant formulations.
Other key benefits:
- Improved coating flexibility under harsh weathering conditions
- Improved corrosion performance in neutral salt spray testing
- Compatible with many organic resin systems and pigments
- Can act as a sole binder in room temperature cure films with outstanding thermal and UV resistance
- Reduced adverse effects on adhesion and recoat
Example: CoatOSil* DRI WB Silicone as co-binder in non-pigmented Styrene-Acrylic Latex system CoatOSil* DRI can also be used as an additive to help improve the UV-resistance of Styrene Acrylic resin films. A commercial flexible Styrene Acrylic latex sample was used as the control latex to compare with one containing a 10% blend of CoatOSil* DRI WB silicone.
Both resin films were cured at room temperature on Al substrates and were then exposed to QUV-B for 2000 hours. Mandrel bend testing showed the difference in flexibility of aged resin films after QUV exposure. As seen from the pictures below, cracks were seen on the control Styrene Acrylic resin film (picture 1), while there were no such cracks observed on the co-resin film with 10% Y-19231 WB Silicone composition (picture 2).
If you are wondering exactly how this product is going to help you, check out the laboratory results:
- The addition of 14% CoatOSil DRI waterborne silicone in an acrylic latex resulted in a significant improvement in gloss retention and color stability, along with a reduction of water uptake of near 50% compared to the control.
- A higher 66% PVC matt finish exterior style test paint was also prepared with CoatOSil DRI waterborne silicone used as a co-binder with an acrylic latex.
- The addition of 6.3% of CoatOSil DRI waterborne silicone reduced the color fading and water absorption while improving effluorescence resistance in the test formulation.
- The water uptake and color change on UV exposure was significantly decreased with the addition of CoatOSil DRI waterborne silicone in the model paint formulation.
Note: Test results. Actual results may vary.
To help you go to the next level and beat your competition, Momentive Performance Materials also offers technical support and can test your formulation in its highly advanced laboratory.
You have the power to select the right materials for your formulations. Discover here the characteristics of this innovative product and decide if it can help achieve your goals.
Need more information and want to speak to our specialists? Contact us now
When you have intelligent solutions working for your business, good things happen. Ask us today.
*CoatOSil is a trademark of Momentive Performance Materials Inc.