Top 4 Uses of Silane Based-Additives & How to Choose the Right One for Your Formulation
In our professional career, as coating formulators, we regularly come across a number of additives. There are a variety of different coating additives in the market and choosing the right one can be daunting. So when we get comfortable using an additive that seems to do the trick… we tend to stick with it!
What if there is a new coating additive that has molecules specifically tailored to our formulations?
With the nature of our ever-changing society, we pay close attention to the evolution of technology in order to help make our lives a little easier. We do this in regards to technology, so why wouldn’t we pay that kind of attention to materials that will make our jobs easier and our results more outstanding?
You may want to pay attention to the presence of a silicone portion of the additive molecule. It promotes properties like low surface tension and slip. Polyethylene oxide content generally provides water compatibility, while polypropylene oxide content leads to compatibility with solvent-borne and high solids coatings and inks systems. Here are the top 4 uses of silane based-additives:
- For coating, ink formulations, or packaging overprint choose varnishes and additives that have effective super-wetting properties.
- Now, what if we use a silane-based pre-treatment? The right coating additive can help foster a long-term performance of painted metals, like galvanized steel and aluminum alloys, because of their anti-corrosive properties.
- Many shelf-stable additives with non-yellowing performance can improve scrub resistance in acrylic latex paints, and improve gloss and clarity (DOI) of topcoats.
- If you need to improve abrasion resistance in UV-cured acrylated resins, simplify your work by choosing additives that are reactive 100% slip agents.
Silane-based additives provide many advantages. With the breadth and quality of the Momentive CoatOSil* portfolio, we are confident that you can identify the perfect additive to address your needs whether related to foam control, anti-blocking, wetting, slip, flow or leveling.
How can this Momentive portfolio help simplify your formulations?
Here are a few examples of what the CoatOSil*line can do for you:
- To help enable wetting of waterborne systems on standard and hard-to-wet substrates consider CoatOSil* 1211C coating additive.
- If you are looking for a copolymer that can improve the clarity of final film and film coalescence consider CoatOSil* 7001 copolymer.
- To improve water and UV resistance resulting in more flexible coatings and sealants consider CoatOSil DRI waterborne silicone.
- If you need a crosslinker and adhesion promoter for coating, adhesive and sealant applications consider CoatOSil* T-Cure oligomer silane.
- To improve coating flexibility and gloss retention under harsh weathering conditions: Consider CoatOSil* FLX coating modifier.
Imagine the impact if these all worked for you?
Can you imagine the benefits that you could realize using these?
Can you imagine how well these might work for you?
*CoatOSil is a trademark of Momentive Performance Materials Inc.